Monday, May 23, 2011

rainy car


So, I own a car. This is what my car looks like. (But without the palm trees, as I do not live in CA.) I actually paid it off last month. I received the title in the mail. It was a very adult moment for me. It made me happy.

I sometimes refer to this car as Betsy. Or Bessie. Depending on how the mood strikes me. I have a hippo on the front dash. It's a good conversational piece when I give rides to people I don't know very well.

As I have had this car for 2 years I have learned some things about owning a car (especially not a new one.).
1. You will get better gas mileage if you get an oil change regularly. Also, it's important to check your fluids regularly.
2. A/C is optional. And expensive to fix.
3. It's expensive to be responsible for a car.
4. How to change the blinker lights
5. It's probably wise if you check your tire pressure regularly.
6. Being a single gal, it's really helpful to have roadside assistance. I have used them many, many times.
7. When a car battery is defective, it doesn't like the cold and will refuse to start early in the cold mornings. Prayers needed in these cases.
8. If you leave the hood up of your engine, people, especially men, will ask if you need help. :)
9. If you have acid corrosion on your battery heads you can pour a baking soda and water mixture on them to wash it away.
10. If you clean the outside of your windows and still feel like they are dirty, try washing the inside. Those get dirty too.


My latest adventure with my car is that there is some kind of problem with the seal on the rear right side passenger's door (I once had a hypothesis that it was a rusty bottom of my car). No big deal. Until it starts to rain buckets, like it has the last couple weeks. A few days ago I got in my car and thought "It smells really wet, dirty, and gross in here." Solution: Roll down the windows. And just for good measure I looked in the back and saw a puddle (literally a small pool.) not just damp carpet on the backseat floor. I sighed and drove off to my destination.

Yesterday I came home from church and couldn't handle it anymore, and fearing mold, (As I knew the carpet had been wet for several days by now.) I grabbed the "car rags" I have in my trunk and started to soak up the water, ring it out, and then soak it up again. There was so much WATER!! I would say at least 3 cups, probably more. After I felt like I had gotten as much as I could, I rolled the windows down and (accidentally left the keys on the seat!!) left the mat and rags to dry, as it was a beautiful sunny afternoon.

At about 7:30, clouds were rolling in and I went out and rolled up the windows (found my keys!!! scolded myself for my forgetfulness and felt grateful to live in Provo.) and put the dry mat and rags back in the car. The floor was only slightly dry-er. But no puddle. I was satisfied.

Then it started to rain.

This morning, after said rain, I got in my car.
Puddle has returned. Rusty bottom of car hypothesis gone. Seal of door suspicions confirmed. NOW WHAT?!

Anyone know how to fix that? Before I have a new life form growing in the back of my car...

Anyway, I hope you are having a great day.

"Life can be delish with a sunny disposish"

No comments: